Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Marine life





I've taken a break from my 15mm Prussian Army to work on another project. These are 25mm (1/72 scale or 23mm really) British Marines from Hat. I've indivudually based them for skirmish action. The bases are pennies covered in sand. I figured sand would be a good texture because they used to cast sand on the decks of ships to keep people from slipping in blood once the action started, so it could represent that, or works when they are on an island looking for trouble.

The officer is stolen from the ESCI Prussian infantry set. It was the closest thing I had to someone with the big goofy hat, but I think he fits in well. I really don't know much at all about British Marines outside of the AWI period, so my idea of the officer could be completely off, but he'll have to do. I really like the marines' mutton chops and fancy top hat. It must of looked like a '70s prom on a ship (minus the girls) when these guys turned out in full dress.

I'm now painting up some 1/72 pirates from Orion to serve as their adversaries. I forgot how much a pain it is to paint "irregular" troops where everyone gets their own outfit. It's really much quicker to give everyone a blue coat and red trim than it is to try to put in enough variety that everyone look unique. It takes forever.

When the pirates are done, I've already got a little scenario in mind. The pirates will be in the coastal fort I built in an earlier post, having seized it from the small garrison of fever-ridden invalids that held it. The pirate captain left behind a sizable group to hold the fort until he could set up a rendezvous with the French, who are bankrolling his operation, to transfer his captured goodies. A British frigate captain learned about the pirate outpost from a deserter and has assigned his marines to a daring night raid to try to take the post by surprise. The marines will be outnumbered by about 3:1, but will have the element of surprise plus superior elan and shooting skills. I plan on using "This Very Ground" rule set, which even though it wasn't designed for pirates, looks like it will work nicely.

In other news: I never heard from AWales, the big chariot winner, so will try to work something out with the second-place bettor. I've also been running several chariot races as I continue to fine-tune the rules. I'm now using some Formula One tracks (from the board game "Formula De" as a "streets of Rome" type road race with narrow lanes and tight curves. Creates a completely different set of challenges for the chariot drivers and is a lot of fun. I also painted up two more chariots and have four more under construction. So I have 8 completed, with four more, that would give me a total of 12, which is all the tracks could ever handle anyway -- and more than 8 might be pushing it. But I won't know until I try.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar