Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

desert example of play part 2 - Actual Play

The session begins with Filip's morning at home. The date is early January, a sunday. Since future weather is weird, I'm pulling a weather report from a random location. 18-21°C.

Being respectful towards my still asleep flatmate, I try not to make too much noise while getting up. I decide to fetch some breakfast on the way to my assignment. 5 tickets in 324651.*

Because I forgot to roll up the building Filip's apartment is in - I just have the superblock - I do that now. A roll of horizontal 6 and vertical 4 locates the building on the plan. 

Filip is on the third floor of a six-story prewar building roughly looking like this

house people
-----------
house people
-----------
house people
-----------
house people
-----------
house people
-----------
connect people with machines

The store on the ground floor is selling hearing aids. The sensor layout is 2 5 5 for base:acc, work:vid, stor:vid. The streets surrounding the city block are marked (special) for an eduspace stacked with neuro sensors. Regular history classes take place there. Not on a sunday, though.

I grab my bag and tablet and head out. There's a (life) section just across the tram line. After a mint tea and something to eat, Filip gets on a bus to the assigned district.

Closest to the bus stop is assigned doll V. Filip enters the office high-rise and takes the stairwell up to the 16th floor. People seem to have been using the elevator just fine, but the boxy slipdoll can't get out anymore and has given up. I declare temporary (maintenance), asking the system to send up a paperdoll. When it arrives, I've already flipped the slipdoll on its side and carry it out with the paperdoll's help. I finish up by declaring the elevator off-limits until it can be fixed.

With only the information of where doll III vanished and when, Filip tries his luck with the local acc sensors. With just one active sensor the chance of squeezing out information on who took it is 1-in-6. A rolled 2 isn't enough. Filip decides to pick up IV next in case it's the same one. Turns out it is. I enter my dolltech ID giving me access to nearby (storage) to put the wreck in for pickup.

Next up is I. The tenants have taped the floatdoll to a hallway wall. The tape says FIX! As they see Filip arrive on video (no privacy for blocktechs), tall, in his overall that says CITY on it, their door opens. A man - I roll up a random character - in an expensive suit, 'belligerent' towards his community (neighbours in this case) but 'loyal' towards people in general thanks Filip for attending to the problem. "Can you look up who f... messes with the doll?" "It's my job" "We're grateful then" ... "No one did. I'm assigning it to another floor." "OK".

The paperdoll at II is Filips final assignment. His dolltech ID gives him access to the building. The young people are indeed very embarassed. "We would have called an inflatable to send it away ourselves." "I have to check on it first" "Of course, it's right in the kitchen. We must've put too much on, we're so sorry." "Don't worry". The doll just fell over and switched to safe standby. Filip reactivates it and sends it to maintenance.

A this point I decide to introduce the district - a montage I could've done earlier, on Filip's way here or while at work. "Tall buildings look at Filip from their many windows as he walks past them in the wintry sun. The facades appear worn, but expensive apartments are shown in clear CZ ads. Looking out of the bus window, trees are soon replaced by dense buildings on the way back into the city." I check off the purple district's 'forest edge location' and 'housing blocks...'.**

Back home, I enter the building with my personal ID. I ignore the message from my former boss that has arrived by now and have a beer-drinking, boardgame-playing afternoon with Jo.

* This AP doesn't make use of the superblock profile. In the future, it might be used to generate random encounters with people who for example try to convince the blocktechs to get involved and help change something about the way a superblock allocates its resources.

**I've been reluctant to put anything like genre-rules into the game, but v1.31 will have a mechanic where you create this kind of travel montage, stringing together descriptive elements established for the districts during Prep. It's also a way to pace a game of desert, should you want to, because a character who has checked off every aspect of at least one district exits play. 

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar